Macro photography refers to extreme close-up photography, usually of very small subjects where they are depicted in the image as greater than life size. To achieve the best results in macro photography, it is important to use the smallest lens aperture to gain optimum image sharpness and depth of field. To shoot macro, you need a macro lens which is a lens that lets you shoot at least at a 1:1 ratio. In other words, if you shoot a picture of a jumping spider, the resulting image will be the size of a jumping spider or larger. The great thing about macro photography is you have to experiment, explore and find inspiration from the act of doing, because it gives you a different way of seeing. We cannot wait to see the world through your lens, so wow us with your macro photography and you can win the prize for the month which will be announced in the next few days.
Competitions are a great opportunity to showcase your images and see the work of your fellow members. Photography should be fun – when you take a great image why not show it off. And, of course, when your photos get a million votes from our global photography community, that is a really good feeling.
A little friendly competition is a great way to stay motivated – trying different angles, lighting, lenses will also improve your photography. At the end of the day, it is also just amazing to connect with photographers from all over the world.
The monthly photo competitions are linked to the theme of the month and are your opportunity to go out and take a killer photo based on the theme and win the sponsored prize of the month.
The main prize winner is determined by a panel of judges. JOBY GorillaPod Original winner is determined by member votes.
With the addition of the monthly themes, the POTW competitions will come to an end.
By consolidating the POTW into a single competition linked to the monthly theme, you can focus on the monthly theme and win great prizes.
The previous POTW competitions will remain in place for you to view, but no new POTW’s will be added. Thanks to those who have entered and supported these weekly competitions.
The JOBY GorillaPod Original prize sponsored by Canon South Africa will be transferred to the monthly theme competition.
Rules, regulations and all that good stuff.
There are a few standard rules to help provide a framework for the contests.
- In order to promote unbiased voting, all photos are posted without the entrant’s name and may not include a watermark.
- All photos must be original work, taken by the entrants. The photo must not infringe upon the trademark, copyright, moral rights, intellectual rights, or rights of privacy of any entity or person.
- Violators will be removed from the contest, stripped of any prize(s), and banned from entering future contests.
- The Hunters Of Light reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to stated contest rules.
- All decisions are final.
- By entering the Contest, entrants agree that photos submitted can be used by the Hunters Of Light for promoting the Hunters Of Light.
- Submissions will not be accepted once the deadline lapses.
- The competition is open to all South African citizens except directors, members, partners, employees, agents, service providers and consultants of Canon South Africa / The Hunters of Light as well as their spouses, life partners, immediate family members, business partners and associates. (Damn!)
- Above all, just have fun and enjoy photography!
- All members can enter and are eligible to win.
- The main prize winner is determined by a panel of judges.
- JOBY GorillaPod Original winner is determined by member votes
- Entry limit: 4 entries per competition.
POTM winner details
- The winner will receive the prize of that month provided by the sponsor.
- The prize will be shipped to your address anywhere in South Africa by the sponsor.
Please ensure that the images you upload confirm the following specifications.
- Format: Jpeg
- Max width: 1140px
- Resolution: 72 dpi
- The Hunters Of Light does not claim any ownership over Content you submit or make available on the Website.
- Ownership is retained by Users at all times.
- By submitting content to The Hunters Of Light you affirm, represent and warrant that you own (and/or otherwise have the right to submit) the Content submitted or made available by you on The Hunters Of Light.
- However, with respect to content on publicly accessible areas of the Website, you hereby grant The Hunters Of Light, as well as its partners and sponsors, the right to display the Content and the right to use the Content to promote the contest(s) on social media and other websites. In such cases, credit will be explicitly given to you as the owner of the Content.
- The foregoing notwithstanding, User shall at all times retain all copyright interest in any and all images submitted.