Motivation, education and inspiration for photographers Forums Business & Branding Pricing How to determine Image licensing costs.

• How to determine Image licensing costs.

• Team Hunters of Light

Administrator
    9th Jun 2021 at 8:53 am

Good morning everyone.

A couple of months ago I shot an image library for a client over three locations and generated just over 5000 images. Their budget was super low for the multi day shoot, so i only included 100 images at the time.

The client is now asking for additional images and would appreciate some advice on how to charge for this type of image licensing scenario.

As i see it, there are two ways to approach it:

1. The single image license and
    2. A bulk licensing cost for all the images.

Details:

• All mediums
    • Perpetual
    • All regions

I would retain copyright, but the client could use the images in perpetuity.

If you look at the calculators on the https://www.the-aop.org/ website the figures become incredibly high and this will not work as a solution for this client, so i would appreciate any advice you might have that will work for me and the client in this case.

Thanks in advance.

• hamishniven

9th Jun 2021 at 9:33 am

This is such a great question.

There are a few things to consider.

1. Do you want to sell lots of images at a lower price?
    2. Do you want to sell fewer images at a higher price?
    3. How conscious of the quality of the images you supply are you?
    4. Do you want to micro-manage every photograph; make lots of work for yourself?

I only supply edited images I am happy with, images that say “These are Hamish’s work”. This means I am very image-conscious. I’d not want to sell many images at a lower price, and provide images that are not edited as I’d like, that are not representative of my skills.

I would license image individually, they pick the ones they’d like and I’ll edit and supply them. This way, each photograph says “THIS WAS PROUDLY TAKEN BY HAMISH” and it represents what I can do. So if a potential client asks “who took the photos” I’d know they are good enough to sell my services.

If the client wants lots of images, then I’d discount, but only on a substantial number of images 🙂

I hope that answers the question

• Team Hunters of Light

Administrator
      9th Jun 2021 at 9:37 am

I have looked at one or two stock libraries for pricing and found this to be quite interesting as a starting point – especially the different size options.

Std Licence Small
      Resolution: 837 x 558 px ( 7.1cm x 4.7cm @ 300 dpi )
      R40.00

Std License Medium
      Resolution: 1658 x 1105 px ( 14cm x 9.4cm @ 300 dpi )
      R60.00

Std License Large
      Resolution: 2478 x 1652 px ( 21cm x 14cm @ 300 dpi )
      R80.00

Std License XLarge
      Resolution: 3785 x 2523 px ( 32cm x 21.4cm @ 300 dpi )
      R100.00

Std License XXL
      Resolution: 4987 x 3325 px ( 42.2cm x 28.2cm @ 300 dpi )
      R120.00

Standard Extended License Original Size
      Resolution: 5184 x 3456 px ( 43.9cm x 29.3cm @ 300 dpi )
      R500.00

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now