• My tip for birds in flight.

Quintin Mills updated 1 year ago 4 Members · 5 Posts
  • Quintin Mills

Administrator
    19th Oct 2020 at 1:00 pm

Increase your shutter speed:

I don’t practise a lot so many of my shots have motion blur. I find I have to increase my shutter speed to 2500 or 3200 to increase my chances of success. There is no substitute for proper technique and practise though.

I think this would have been an awesome shot except for the motion blur.

• Rene Wright

19th Oct 2020 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Q! Do you use single point focus or nine?

• Team Hunters of Light

Administrator
      20th Oct 2020 at 11:16 am

Hi Rene, thanks for the question.

Since I started using the EOS R5, things have changed a lot. The eye-tracking is a serious benefit and can be used very effectively to track birds in flight. Sometimes though it does stray when it finds it difficult to find an eye, but the fallback of using the central area of focus points is exceptionally accurate.

So eye tracking is the way I prefer now because I don’t have to recompose and make sure the focus point is in the right place while I shoot. On my Canon 5DMKIV, I would have tried to use a single point kinda where I would want the head in the shot and go from there. I don’t know if that is correct (or even that accurate) or not, but it did work for me. Again, failing that, the central 9 focus points.

• Mosaicphotosdesign Anton Bester

21st Oct 2020 at 7:59 pm

Hey Q,

I agree on the increase in shutter speed… I would like to hear your take on intended motion blur though. By this I don’t mean to say it must be part of most birds in flight images or used as an excuse for images not up to standard but rather as a technique to add to “story” of a image.

• Quintin Mills

Administrator
      26th Oct 2020 at 9:58 am

I think intended option blur goes a long way to tell the story and would incorporate wherever I could. This Pied Kingfisher with the head still and the wings in motion talks to the hovering, waiting for the perfect moment to dive in and grab a meal.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now