Motivation, education and inspiration for photographers Forums POPI Act POPI and your client’s personal information

• POPI and your client’s personal information

Tanya Vosloo updated 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Posts
  • Team Hunters of Light

Administrator
    11th May 2021 at 8:48 am

POPI defines “Personal Information” as any information that could lead to the identification of a person or entity, their whereabouts or beliefs.

So as a photographer, when you collect information (contact form, email, etc), when you store the content and when you post images and text relating to the shoot, you need to do it with the client’s consent.

• A person must have a choice whether to consent or not (it must be voluntary).
    • It must relate to a specific purpose (e.g. booking a shoot). You must specify your purpose.
    • The data subject must be aware of the information you collect and the reasons for collecting it.
    • You must inform the person sufficiently to enable them to make a decision.
    • There must be an expression of will. For example, tick a tick box, or click on a link or a signature

How are you getting consent for the content you capture?

• Chris Hitchcock

11th May 2021 at 11:34 am

This was a very interesting talk, thank you.

I have a website where people can buy sports images of themselves in action. To do this they must provide their e-mail address and a password. The system encrypts the password and even I as the admin cant see it.

They have to register with their email address, as the system generates download links that get mailed after successful payment (via Payfast, a 3rd party site).

Other than the mail address I harvest no other data. Do I need to make any special provisions to be POPI compliant?

Thanks

Chris

• Quintin Mills

Administrator
      11th May 2021 at 11:54 am

Hi Chris, great question.

Your website will need to have a privacy policy outlining what info is captured – Personal data, usage data, tracking and cookies data.
      How it is used, transfer of the data, security of the data, etc.

You also need to ask their consent – so when they register, you need to provide a link to the privacy policy and have a checkbox to say they have read it and give you consent.

@SV-Law maybe you can add your feedback?

• Tanya Vosloo

22nd Aug 2021 at 11:32 am

A short article on website privacy policies will be uploaded this week and a privacy policy will be in the store very soon. Chris you are welcome to contact me if you have more specific questions, tanya@svlaw.co.za

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now