The competitions run for 2 months and give you a good amount of time to go out and take a killer photo based on the theme and win the sponsored prize for the theme.
Please read the rules & entry requirements below, entries not abiding by the rules and the entry requirements will be disqualified.
To celebrate #womensmonth, the photo competition theme is “The epic, powerful and beautiful women in your life”.
Click here to enter your images to win the prize. Remember to vote for your favourite image!
This is a theme that anyone can enter regardless of your photography skills and equipment, we are looking for creativity and thinking outside the box. You don’t need a “great white” lens or a sooper dooper macro lens, this is just creativity and experimentation. Your images do not need to be taken with a mirrorless camera, remember we are celebrating mirrorless with these images, so you can either go for a reflection (I know, it’s mirrorless… Irony.) by using a water puddle, mirrors, shop windows, even your phone’s screen as a reflective element to capture a reflection or you can go pure mirrorless – shoot a portrait of someone who got ready for work without using a mirror 🙂
Upload your out-of-this-world, sooper dooper mirrorless images and you could win a Canon RF 50mm 1.8 STM lens sponsored by Canon South Africa.
I am sure many of you have been waiting for the wildlife theme so now is your chance to show us your most amazing images. We want impact, we want personality, we want images that jump off the screen. The best wildlife image for the month will win you the amazing Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM lens sponsored by Canon South Africa.
Please note that the entry requirements have been updated, so you need to make sure you have read and understood them.
Macro photography refers to extreme close-up photography, usually of very small subjects where they are depicted in the image as greater than life size. To achieve the best results in macro photography, it is important to use the smallest lens aperture to gain optimum image sharpness and depth of field. To shoot macro, you need a macro lens which is a lens that lets you shoot at least at a 1:1 ratio. In other words, if you shoot a picture of a jumping spider, the resulting image will be the size of a jumping spider or larger. The great thing about macro photography is you have to experiment, explore and find inspiration from the act of doing, because it gives you a different way of seeing. We cannot wait to see the world through your lens, so wow us with your macro photography and you can win a Canon EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro lens sponsored by Canon South Africa.
The term “fine art photography” has no universally agreed meaning or definition. Rather, it refers to an imprecise category of photographs, created in accordance with the creative vision of the photographer. Fine-art photography is photography created in line with the vision of the photographer as artist, using photography as a medium for creative expression. The goal of fine-art photography is to express an idea, a message, or an emotion. This stands in contrast to representational photography, such as photojournalism, which provides a documentary visual account of specific subjects and events, literally representing objective reality rather than the subjective intent of the photographer.
So now the you have your brief, go out and shoot some amazing fine art photography and enter your images here.
It’s easy to think of architectural photography simply as the photography of buildings, but there’s more to it than that. Architectural photography is about capturing not only the design and accurate representation of a building, but to have the shots be aesthetically pleasing to the viewer’s eye. An architectural photographer makes pictures, not takes pictures.
Architectural photographers require additional skills and techniques to capture the beauty of buildings, from the use of perspective control to capture complete spaces to knowing where and when to find the shots.
Enter up to 4 images to the monthly theme competition and you could win the sponsored prize for this month, a Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM sponsored by Canon South Africa.
Entries close at midnight on the 31 of March so get going already!
In our mission to educate, motivate and inspire our members and the photographic community at large, we announced monthly themes and we have added a competition linked to the theme of the month.
February is Portrait Month so break out your go-to portrait lens, your reflector, flashes, gels and a model and go out and shoot an amazing portrait.
Enter up to 4 portraits to the monthly theme competition and you could win the sponsored prize for this month, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM sponsored by Canon South Africa.
Entries close at midnight on the 28th of February so get going already!
Rules, regulations and all that good stuff.
There are a few standard rules to help provide a framework for the contests.
- In order to promote unbiased voting, all photos are posted without the entrant’s name and may not include a watermark.
- All photos must be original work, taken by the entrants. The photo must not infringe upon the trademark, copyright, moral rights, intellectual rights, or rights of privacy of any entity or person.
- Violators will be removed from the contest, stripped of any prize(s), and banned from entering future contests.
- The Hunters Of Light reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to stated contest rules.
- All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering the competitions, entrants agree that photos submitted can be used by the Hunters of Light for promoting the Hunters Of Light initiative.
- Submissions will not be accepted once the deadline lapses.
- Entry limit: 4 entries per competition.
- A minimum of 10 entrants is required for a winner to be awarded. Should there be less than 10 entrants per competition, the sponsor and the Hunters of Light reserve the right to cancel the competition.
- Above all, just have fun and enjoy photography!
HOW TO ENTER
- Upload your images to the Hunters of Light website competition page
- Follow the Hunters of Light and Canon SA on Facebook and Instagram
- Post your images on your Instagram and Facebook social media accounts tagging Canon South Africa and Hunters of Light and add the hashtag for the specific competition (E.g. #wildlifemonth)
- Canon South Africa
- Hunters of Light
- Canon South Africa
- Images must be no older than 12months, exif data will be checked.
- All Hunters of Light members can enter and are eligible to win.
- The competition is open to all South African citizens except directors, members, partners, employees, agents, service providers and consultants of Canon South Africa / The Hunters of Light as well as their spouses, life partners, immediate family members, business partners and associates. (Damn!)
- Only those winners residing in South Africa will be eligible to receive the prize as we cannot courier outside of South Africa.
WINNERS & PRIZES
- Winners will be announced in the newsletter the month after judging has taken place.
- Winners will be determined by a panel of judges and will receive the sponsored prize for that theme.
- The member’s favourite image is based on member votes and will receive a JOBY GorillaPod.
- The prizes can be collected in Johannesburg or can be shipped to the winners address anywhere in South Africa via PUDO at a cost of R60 for the winners account.
Please ensure that the images you upload confirm the following specifications.
- Format: Jpeg
- Max width: 1140px (Larger images will automatically be resized.)
- Resolution: 72 dpi
- The Hunters Of Light does not claim any ownership over Content you submit or make available on the Website.
- Ownership is retained by Users at all times.
- By submitting content to The Hunters Of Light you affirm, represent and warrant that you own (and/or otherwise have the right to submit) the Content submitted or made available by you on The Hunters of Light.
- However, with respect to content on publicly accessible areas of the Website, you hereby grant The Hunters of Light, as well as its partners and sponsors, the right to display the Content and the right to use the Content to promote the contest(s) on social media and other websites. In such cases, the credit will be explicitly given to you as the owner of the Content.
- The foregoing notwithstanding, User shall at all times retain all copyright interest in any and all images submitted.